Followers

Monday

Chocoholics Anonymous

I’m working from Paris today.  No, not sightseeing.  I’m cooped up in the offices of a chocolate company just outside of Porte de Chatillon.  A chocolate company--sounds delicious right?  Wrong.  Outside of the stale chocolate chip muffins in the vending machine, there is no free chocolate anywhere in the building.  What kind of cruel operation are they running here?  

Isn’t the whole point of working for a chocolate company to get the free candy?  

Below is a list of my favorite chocolatiers.  Most of these chocolatiers have opened shop in NYC, but for an extra special chocolate lovers experience, seek them out when you’re visiting Paris or Brussels:

1)  Pierre Marcolini:  www.marcolini.be
     Gorgeous little chocolates with painted designs.  Perfect for gifts.  Also, try any of the various fruits dipped in chocolate.  The clemtine pieces are melt in your mouth sugary pieces of heaven.  

2)  Maison du Chocolat:  www.lamaisonduchocolat.com
    The mixed box is your best and most delicious option.  The little chocolate expresso beans are also tasty, and that’s saying a lot considering I generally don’t like mocha flavored deserts.  For an on the spot treat, try the éclairs.  

3)  Patrick Roger:   www.patrickroger.com
     Bite sized chocolate macaroons in tempting flavors and colors.  I need to go back for more.  

4)  Pierre Herme:  www.pierreherme.com
     I typically go here for the pastries.  My mouth is watering.  

5)  Neuhaus:  www.neuhaus.be
     A bigger, more commercial chocolatier, so the chocolate is more readily available in train stations and airports. Buy these boxes at Duty free for a sweet treat on the way home.  Yum Yum.  

Apparently The Great Book of Chocolate by David Lebovitz has a whole chapter on chocolate shops in Paris.  And, it gets better! He offers a 4 hour chocolate tour of Paris.   I almost cried when I read about this online.  This is my dream birthday/Christmas/anytimebecauseimspecial gift.

P.S. I don’t eat Godiva. It’s currently owned by a conservative Turkish company whose politics I don’t really agree with.  I caved once when I saw some monstrous chocolate-covered strawberries, but only once…or twice. 

No comments:

About Me

I'm 25 years old and working for a consulting company in a job that takes me across Europe. Sometimes my job is great and the travel is incredibly exciting. Sometimes, its horrible with unbearably long hours and unnecessary pressure, and I feel like crying (often I do). Through the ups and downs, this is my life.